1/14th Daily Journals for OCTOBER 1966.

1 OCTOBER 1966 Today generally wound up the operations in AOs 19 and 11. All companies continued to move with Company B turning up the most action as they reacted to an intelligence report received from Brigade.

Company B moved NNE from LZ 20R with 2 platoons (1st and 2nd). About 3000 meters from their LZ they spotted one individual who was taken under fire before he fled to the Northeast. Further north, Company Bs 1st platoon received fire from 2 VC with negative results. In that general area (YA970341) the 1st platoon found 19 bunkers, 4 huts, 1 PAVN mess kit and other equipment that they estimated to have been left there within the last 3 days. Both platoons continued to search out the area and turned up more equipment and fired on one individual who was out of range of the shotgun used. They set up in ambush there for the night.

Company A with TF PAVN Hunters continued to move back to LZ 20P with negative contact. Company A closed LZ 20P by late evening. One man received a punji stake wound in the hand was evacuated at 2030 hours.

Company C patrolled with 2 platoons and generally found nothing new except a number of bunkers and spider holes previously unknown to the Due Co. people.


2 OCTOBER 1966 Today the Golden Dragons prepared themselves for a break. This consisted of generally resting up and cleaning weapons and equipment.

Company A spent the entire day in LZ 20P except for their 6-man OP which was finally extracted at 1700 hours. This OP had been in position since the 28th and had performed superbly during that time.

Company B conducted the most patrolling in the Battalion. The 1st and 2nd platoons patrolled south from their ambush positions last night. They closed into LZ 20P at 1200 hours carrying all the equipment and items they found on their move yesterday.

Company Cs only patrol was by its 2nd platoon which escorted an Engineer Squad, under Sgt. Massey, to the bunker complex they found yesterday. The Engineers did a thorough job of destroying the bunkers.

The only other item of note was that preparation for the move started to hit small snags. The trucks finally showed up at 1930 hours. There were only 12 trucks, however, instead of 18. Also one was a wrecker and 4 were dump trucks. Rearrangements were made in the plan. However, tomorrow will tell the story.


3 OCTOBER 1966 "Moving Day" for the Dragons progressed smoothly except for a few minor mishaps. Company B and the 4.2 Mortar Platoon moved out on time at 0700 hours escorted by 5 tanks and a FAC overhead. The road proved to be a lot rougher than it looked from the air. One tank was lost in this first move due to mechanical failure. The first move closed LZ 18F and that was already secured by a CIDG Company.

On the return trip, another tank threw a track and so the count went to 3 "operational". In spite of this, Company C and the Artillery closed LZ 18F at 1335 hours. Company C immediately set out on foot for their AO.

The entire battalion finally completed their move at 1715 when Company A and the remainder of the Command Group closed LZ 18F. Company A set out for their AO while the rest of the battalion began to prepare positions. LZ 18F is quite close to the border (within 81 mm mortar range) so everyone dug deep holes.

During the night, Company C established three ambush sites within their AO. Company A closed their LZ and put out their 2nd platoon ambush 300 meters to the north. Company B also had ambushes.

The communications were very poor in that area and at times Company B and Company C were very difficult to receive.


4 OCTOBER 1966 Company A sent the 1st Platoon out to the southeast and their 3rd Platoon to the southwest at 0730. Company B moved west and northwest to the river. Company C sent TF Playboy south in the morning, with TF Dealer and Blazer holding their ambush positions until noon. All units reported finding trail networks which had been used recently, but only two significant finds were made during the day. At 1430 Company B found a dead PAVN, an AK 47, 3 blocks of TNT, 2 grenades, and 78 rounds of ammunition. They destroyed the TNT, grenades and ammunition. At 1730 Company C reported finding a hospital complex at YA 737210. During the evening Company A put out 2 ambushes, as did Company C. Company B held up for the night at YA 699255 with local security. No contact was reported during the night.


5 OCTOBER 1966 Company B closed into LZ 18I at 0920. Company C moved into LZ 18G, coming very close to the Cambodian border en route. An Engineer squad moved in to help Company C clear their LZ, and a dog team was flown in and attached to them. Alpha Army left two platoon ambushes out for the night, Company C had one, and there was no enemy contact.


6 OCTOBER 1966 The mortar platoon was lifted to LZ 18I and set up with Company B at 0930. The companies continued to sweep their areas, but there was no contact during the day or night.


7 OCTOBER 1966 Company B moved out on sweep of their area in two Task Forces. Capt. Ware took his 3rd and Weapons platoons, and Lt. Scott commanded the 1st and 2nd Platoons. Company A moved north across the river. Except for the discovery of some old bunkers by Company C, the day yielded nothing.


8 - 9 OCTOBER 1966 Company C and two platoons of Company A occupied LZ 18M. The Recon Platoon, working out of LZ 18M, moved out at 0720 on a sweep. Capt. Ware took his 1st Platoon out on their sweep. Col. Procter and Major Hoyt spent most of the day planning a move scheduled for the 10th into AO 4. Some firing to our south, from 2nd, 8th Inf. of the 4th Division caused some concern in the CP for a few minutes until the source was identified. No contact during the day, evening , or next day.


10 OCTOBER 1966 Company B moved out on foot for their new LZ, and en route policed up an M16 rifle which Company A had lost the day before. Company A moved into LZ 4H, and their 2nd Platoon moved into a village at YA 998403 to clear it. Company B picked up 5 VMCS and a VMC in the village at YA 952378. A CIDG force from Due Co. joined Company B. Dog teams were sent to Company A and Company B. The command group and the artillery battery moved into LZ 4C. General Larson CG, IFFV, and General Collins, CG, 4th Div., and General Walker visited Col. Procter in LZ 4C at 1500.

At 1520, 2nd Platoon of Company A observed 2 NVA soldiers approaching their position. One shotgun round was fired, and a squad set off in hot pursuit. No luck. Company B found 1 ton of rice in a straw bin at YA 946367. The prisoner taken by Company B volunteered to show them more rice caches the next day. At 1750, Company As 2nd Platoon OP had contact with 2 NVA armed with AK47s. One friendly WIA, who was evacuated by the C&C. No other results. Company B had policed up a total of 8 VMC during the day and they were flown to Pleiku at 1800. There were no incidents during the night.


11 OCTOBER 1966 Company B, guided by 2 VMC went back to the area where they found the ton of rice and found 3 more bins, each containing a ton, and using sandbags evacuated the rice to Plei Djerang. The 3rd Platoon of Company A and the 1st Platoon of Company C searched and cleared the village at YA 996448 and policed up 2 VMC who had been on list of suspects published by the SF team at Plei Djerang. The 3rd Platoon of Company C was brought out from Pleiku to rejoin their company, and the Security Platoon was given the Base Camp Security Mission. Company A had contact with approximately 5-8 individuals and captured 3 of them. They were VMC, and had been working for the VC as rice carriers. There were no other contacts during the day.


12 OCTOBER 1966 Company B cleared a village at YA 923372, and Company C worked the village at YA 958434. The 3rd Platoon of Company A, together with an RF force (TF Army) left LZ 4H on a sweep. Out regular visitors to LZ 4E were Chaplain Filip, the "Roaming Catholic," LTC Holbrook, CO, 2/9 Artillery, and Capt. Cacioppe, HQ Cmdt., who came in on his regular visit to his troops. We also had a visit from LG Doleman from USARPAC, and General Walker. An MI team worked with Company A. Alpha Army picked up 3 more VMC. No other significant activities were reported during the day or night.


13 OCTOBER 1966 The "Golden Dragons" again had a busy day, with two contacts and another 3-ton cache of rice found.

The action started early when the Recon Platoon came upon a deserted village consisting of 24 huts. They scared up two individuals who ran without firing a shot. One dropped his weapon when taken under fire. The Recon platoon pursued both individuals to the north into the mountains and found another weapon. They also came upon a 12 year old boy and an old man whom they sent back to Plei Djerang for questioning.

Company A had the other contact today where they received fire from the rear of one of their outpost positions. No one was injured and there were no pursuits on either side.

Company B, with Lt. Scott at the reins, found another rice cache today. Using interpreters from Due Co. Plei Djerang, and Than Nhan (Sector), they "persuaded" guides from the village to lead them to 2 different rice caches consisting of about 3 tons total. This village was the same village that they were in when we were in the area earlier. At that time 2 VMCS were taken out; but nothing else was gathered up.

Another move was in the planning stage late this afternoon. We will move tomorrow at noon for AO 3, only about 1200 meters west of our present location.


14 OCTOBER 1966 Today, which was supposed to be moving day for the "Golden Dragons", turned out to be anything but that.

Company A kicked off on an operation which was supposed to be completed by noon. They found a 2-ton rice cache and also made contact in the same general area. Capt. Boss went into the area southeast of his LZ to find out what was in the area. Having made numerous small contacts in the area the past 4 days, he felt that there was something there. He was right as evidenced by the rice cache. After leaving this location, the two platoons crossed a rice paddy. They were well spread out with the dog team as point. As they reached the far side they were brought under fire by an estimated 2 automatic weapons. Sgt. Castle the dog handler, was immediately wounded in the head. Both platoons returned fire. This ended with negative results. Sgt. Castle was evacuated in critical condition, a bullet in his right leg, right chest and head. He survived!

Sgt. Castle and Turk

The other two companies put out short patrols. This was in anticipation of the move which never materialized. With its postponement, Company A, was able to take their rice cache to Plei Djerang.

Plei Djerang Special Forces Camp

Plei Djerangs CIDG unit operating in the mountains to our north made contact late this afternoon. We were thinking in terms of reaction, in the event it turned into a big fight. Maj. Hoyt and Lt. Col. Procter made Contingency plans for every possibility. We received, from Brigade, plans for moving the 105 mm (SP) which came in yesterday.

The intelligence reports concerning the area to out north and west all point toward an enemy buildup.


15 OCTOBER 1966 The days started early for the "Golden Dragon". At 0001 hours everyone in the CP was still up, making plans. The 105 mm (SP) with us was directed by Bde to move north to a location where they could support Plei Djerang and the area of their contact. They were unable to do so when they were blocked by a stream. Instead, they turned around and, taking a round about route, arrived at a supporting position at 0430 hours. The 2nd and 3rd Platoons of Company B, under Lt. Scott, accompanied the Btry, for security.

The remainder of the battalion was given the mission of making a move at 0800 hours today. This was eventually called off, which put all companies in a waiting status with no patrols working. Company A continued to leave an OP and ambush at the site of yesterdays contact. They relieved their 2nd Platoon with their 1st Platoon.

Company C closed their LZ and waited for the move. When this was delayed another day, they sent two ambush patrols out.

The Recon Platoon was lifted over to the 105 mm (SP) to act as an additional security force. This put an equivalent of 1 company, for security with this battery, under command of Lt. Scott.

Company B sent a force out at noon to check out the village they his on the first day in this AO. They took a National Policeman from Sector with them. They found nothing of significance and were extracted late in the afternoon.

All in all the day was one of anticipation and waiting. The primary concern of everyone seemed to be Plei Djerangs contact to our north. Signs point to a large force in the area, and the "Golden Dragons" are chafing at the bit to go.


16 OCTOBER 1966 Today was a little slower for the "Golden Dragons" than it was yesterday. The battalion still remained on an alert status and still tried to work portions of their AOs.

Company A pulled its OP-ambush Platoon in. Company A sent a platoon under Lt. OBrien to a blown bridge site to another OP-ambush platoon into the area where he has been making all his contacts.

Company C sent out routine patrols with negative results.

Company B was the only company to make contact today. Their weapons Platoon under Lt. Grand was fired upon when they started to search a Montagnard village. The fire came from the village outskirts. No one was hurt and nothing was found after a search of the area.

Lt. Scott, controlling 3 platoons securing the self-propelled battery to out west, sent out three patrols. Nothing of significance was found except a few CIDG deserters in one of the villages. They were returned to Plei Djerang.


17 OCTOBER 1966 The "Golden Dragons" spent another quiet day.

Company As only activity was a change over of platoons on ambush-OP positions. Their 3rd Platoon continued to secure the bridge site for the engineer companys repair team.

Company B sent out a patrol to the southeast with negative results.

Company C, under Capt. Simcox, moved north with two platoons. Their plan was to move far up the valley, but due to the terrain they did not move as far as expected. They called for an extraction of one platoon. The other was left in an Acropolis (ambush) at the LZ.

The Platoons under Lt. Scott sent two patrols out to check for river crossing sites on the river to their north at the base of the hill mass. They found a few and also destroyed a boat they found.

Visitors to LZ 4C today included General Abrams, Vice Chief of Staff, US Army, accompanied by Maj. Gen. Collins, 4th Div. Commander, and Brig. Gen. Walker.


18 OCTOBER 1966 After the brigade conference last night Captain Pellegrino, Bn S-3 Air called out to LZ 4C with the information that made "D-Day" October 19th.

As he said, CATECKA closed down and returned to Pleiku. Our battalion closed there about 1030. The 2/35th moved out this morning to AO 3, just to out west. Lt. Scott was given the mission of securing their LZ prior to their move. The 3/6 (SP) also moved out this morning.

With all this moving, the "Golden Dragons" had to get into the act. They did, with moves that consolidated Company A and Company C along with the Arty, 4.2, Recon, and Cmd GP at LZ 4E. Company B made a combat assault, going into a small LZ across the river at the base of hill 1005.

These moves put the entire Bn in a posture of assault to the north into the mountainous region east of Plei Djerang. The 2/35th planned on going across the river west of Plei Djerang either tomorrow or the next day. This would put two battalions assaulting north into the mountainous region while the 1/35th remained in a reserve role around Plei Djerang.

At darkness tonight all "Golden Dragons" were set in anticipation of D-Day tomorrow.


19 OCTOBER 1966 Today was D-Day for the "Golden Dragons". At H-hour all companies kicked out as did the Recon Platoon. Company B moved out on the left of Hill 1005. Company A and Company C moved north from LZ 4E, planning to cross two rivers at sites prepared and secured by Company C. After both rivers were crossed, Company A moved in between Companies B and C. This put them along the east slope of Hill 1005. Recon would assault Hill 1005 head on, moving directly up its southern slope and returning to LZ 4E upon clearing their area up to the top.

This all come off as planned except that due to the difficult terrain progress was considerably less than anticipated. Company A and Company C barely reached the lower slopes, as did the Recon Platoon. Company B made the best progress, getting quite far into the hill mass.

Of special concern in this area, as shown by Company B, is the water supply. By keeping to the high ground, as planned, all companies will pass what little streams there are in the area. Company B had to receive a water drop today. Water was put in 3-gal. plastic tubular containers and dropped from a hovering helicopter.

Expecting contact at any moment, due to intelligence reports from Bde. and Plei Djereng, all companies made good headway despite the torturous terrain.


20 OCTOBER 1966 Thursday 20 Oct. 1966 is a special day that will be remembered by all of the "Golden Dragons." It was the most active day the "Golden Dragons" have had since coming to the field on "Paul Revere" III Sept. 2.

Company C started the action by capturing an NVA along a trail they were following on the high ground. This was just an inkling of bigger things to come.

Company B kicked off at 1230 when they came in contact with an estimated NVA company right at the tip of Hill 1005. Pinned down by their fire, Capt. Ware strove to get his platoons around the sides of this open field. The majority of the fire was coming from a huge rock on the opposite side of the field and right on top of Hill 1005. Unable to move, Capt. Ware working in conjunction with Capt. Hammer, USAF (a brigade FAC) called Arty fire in on the NVA positions. B Btry 2/9th under Capt. Osborne (who took over the radio as RTO during the firing) did an outstanding job in bringing fire right where it was needed. This Arty fire continued until an air strike was brought in. On the 3rd pass, one fighter was a little off and his 20 mm rounds hit the rock on the far side of the field, splattering Company B with rock fragments. 13 men were injured in this accident. Company B then tried to get to an LZ to get the wounded (none seriously) out.

In the meantime Company A, coming up from the southeast made contact with one NVA whom they killed. Company C continued to drive for Hill 1005; trying to encircle the point of contact.

Company C came upon a village with a Montagnard family who they took as VCMS. Then, moving along a trail that headed directly toward Hill 1005 they made a number of other small contacts, making three kills in the process.

Company B had by this time completed their evacuation and started to move out again. They again made contact and found 2 NVA KIA, killed either as a result of artillery or the air strike. In addition, a great deal of blood was found, indicated further casualties which had been pulled out. Company A, in coming to Company Bs aid, came across another NVA KIA. All in all then the battalions count was 7 NVA KIA and numerous weapons and ammo, as well as 1 NVA POW and 9 VMCS.

For the night Companies A and B closed into a small LZ, while Company C remained in two ambush sites. The Recom Platoon reached their objective and closed into LZ 4E. A truly action packed day!


21 OCTOBER 1966 Today, while not quite as exciting as yesterday, did provide a little action for the "Golden Dragons". With the plan to reach and seize the objective (Hill 903) by tonight the battalion kicked Company B off to come in from the west. Company A was to attack from the south and Company C from the east.

Company B made the 1st contact of the day only 200 meters from the LZ where they spent the night. Results were 1 NVA KIA and 2 AK 47s taken. Further down the hill, they found a dead Montagnard and a number of graves.

Company A kicked off next with Lt. Col. Procter and Capt. Beal walking with them. They made no contact, but they were the only company to reach the final objective by nightfall.

Company C moved out and made a contact with 2 or 3 NVA at the base of hill 903. Results were eight 82mm rounds, 2 AK 47s and numerous packs and papers. They held up for the night in 3 positions when darkness overtook them.

Of special interest today was the C&C ship which crashed trying to fly out of the LZ on Hill 1005 with the POW and Capt. Aragaki, our artillery LNO. No one was hurt. The value of a C&C in this mountainous terrain has proved itself over and over in the past 3 days. Major Hoyt and Capt. Aragaki spent 10 hours in the air locating and guiding companies and positions.


22 OCTOBER 1966 Today was a day of rest for the "Golden Dragons". After the last 3 days activities all the men needed it.

The only moving was done by Company C, which closed into Company As LZ. The found numerous huts and packs with clothing and papers in them. Company A remained in the place and cleared an LZ for resupply, as did Company B.

The Cmd. GP "crazy-eighted" today a distance of about 30 kilometers. With the 1/22 Inf. pulling out and moving to Oasis, the artillery and battalion CP were left with only the Recon Platoon for a security force. It was necessary to contract the perimeter so that it could be covered by the people available.

Capt. Pellegrino also moved today taking his Fwd. CP group to LZ 3G where the Bde. has been located since yesterday.

23 OCTOBER 1966 The early hours of the day were characterized by an extremely heavy fog, making early movement extremely hazardous. The mornings activities started with Company Cs ambush element located at YA 932532. Approximately five NVA solders approached the ambush site from the north. With the first exchange of fire, Company Cs element had one WIA, with the enemy force fleeing to the south. The ambush patrol immediately pursued the fleeing enemy but to no avail.

Company A, having departed LZ-X , moved about 1000 m to the north and captured one enemy soldier. Company A immediately moved out again and soon received fire from a hostile force. With the initial volley, the "PAVN Hunters: killed two NVA and captured one more. Moved out again, a more intense fire fight developed, with what proved to be a determined enemy force. The "PAVN Hunters" killed 5 more NVA soldiers, bringing their total to seven KIA and a POW. Capt. Boss reported to Col. Procter that he estimated a force of twenty-one enemy troops, and that he had them boxed in. Soon our FAC came up with two A1Es to pay a visit to "Charlie".  After artillery and air support softened up the dug in troops, the "PAVN Hunters" swept the area and again received heavy automatic weapons fire.  Alpha Army crushed the enemy force and brought the total KIA to 19.  The PAVN Hunters lost two of their own as KIA PFC McKeller and SP4 Brand.  After Company A evacuated its KIAs and WIA, they policed up enemy equipment which included 2 AK 47s, one light machine gun, and 22 packs with the D_302 markings.  Soon after the action, Company A prepared to move its people back to LZ X.  The move back took place in total darkness and Capt. Boss did an excellent job in leading his troops back to the LZ through extremely rugged terrain.  The men were also carrying five litter patients which slowed them down considerably.  They closed the LZ about 2300 hours and were exhausted. The Colonel congratulated the men for an outstanding job.


24 OCTOBER 1966 The morning once again was characterized by low ground fog and light rains. The 3rd platoon of Company A moved out in the same direction as the previous day. At 0915 hours, they were under fire by a force of unknown size. Under the leadership of Lt. Terry OBrien, the 3rd platoon enveloped a portion of the enemy force and killed five NVA soldiers, and policed up one machine gun, one rocket launcher, thirteen packs, and some documents. The platoon sustained no friendly casualties. After returning the enemy equipment to the LZ, they took a well earned break.

Company B, under Capt. Ware, moved to the NNW and encountered extremely dense and rugged terrain. However, the men continued to push forward with the "Punchbowl" (YA0938585) as the objective area. Company C was working to the east of Company B, and was also working toward the "Punchbowl". Company A moved out from LZ X to sweep the middle portion of the area.

At night, Company C positioned itself on the high ground to the east of the "Punchbowl". Company B positioned itself on the high ground to the west of the "Punchbowl". Company A positioned TFs Army and Alpha in the southern portion of the objective "Punchbowl". Company A prepared to sweep and secure the objective in the morning and await the rest of the Dragon units.

The night proved to be a quiet one except for the artillery H&I fired from Plei Djerang.


25 - 26 OCTOBER 1966 During these two days the Dragons closed into LZ 504C, secured it, and rested and refitted. Company B and the Recon Platoon secured the surrounding high ground, and no enemy contact was reported. Company Cs 1st Platoon swept the area south and west of the LZ to insure that security was complete. After the five days of climbing, walking, and fighting in the mountains, the Dragons clothing needed a complete change. Captain Silvola and Lt. Godbees Support Platoon pumped hot "As" cold drinks, fresh clothes, ammo, water and assorted other goodies into the LZ.

Gen. Walker, now Assistant Division Commander of the 4th Infantry Division visited the Dragons. Our Brigade had been under Operational Control of 4th Division for a week. Col. Shanahan, CO of the 3rd Brigade, LTC Meyer, S3, also come in for a conference with Col. Procter.


27 OCTOBER 1966 Capt. Simcox moved out with his 2nd and 3rd Platoons, plus a dog team, to the northwest. Capt. Boss took his 2nd and 3rd Platoons (TF Alpha), and his 1st Platoon (TF Army) out to the southwest.  During the day, Alpha Armys 3rd Platoon found another NVA who had been KIA in their recent fight.  His SKS was policed up. They also picked up four packs, 4 grenades, and a drum magazine for an RPD machine gun.

Gen. Collins and Col. Shanahan visited with Col. Procter and Major Hoyt at 1515.

At 1530 Company C made contact with a force of unknown size at YA 895586. Company Cs point man saw 1 PAVN fall, WIA, on his first burst, but the entire PAVN force dropped their packs, some of their weapons, and took off running to the west. The FAC was over Company C immediately and helped to adjust artillery in the area of the contact. Contact was broken, but at 1841, Company Cs 2nd Platoon reported 2 NVA had walked up to their position. Small arms and grenades were exchanged, but the PAVN apparently escaped. Company Cs "catch" for the day included 15 packs, 2 AK 47s, 1 RPD MG, 1 SKS, and a B-40 rocket launcher. Company B continued to secure LZ 504C and the high ground surrounding it. Companies A and C set up ambushes along trails in their areas of contact, but the night passed quietly.


28 OCTOBER 1966 Company C had the only contact of the day at YA 903586, where they took 2 NVA under fire. One fled to the NW, but "Charging Charley" added one more NVA and his AK 47 to their record book. Company A policed up another AK 47 from the area of their most recent contact. At about 1000, Task Force Alpha linked up with Co. Cs 2nd Platoon in an LZ at YA 876575. By evening, Company A was located with Company Cs 2nd and 3rd Platoons at YA 876755, and Co. Cs 1st Platoon, with the Recon Platoon prepared as ambush near the same location they had used last night. Resupply was effected for all units, and the night was a quiet one.

Capt. A.M. Federline, S1, and 1/Lt. Dave Bramlett, XO of C Co. had a nasty experience on their way back from R&R in Hong Kong. The CV-2 Caribou they were riding in had contact with An Khe Pass in the fog. Capt. Federline broke a bone in his wrist and Lt. Bramlett was bruised. There were 4 killed in the crash. It almost ruined their whole day. Our friends in the 170th Aviation Company sent a "bird" down to An Khe to return them to Pleiku.


29 OCTOBER 1966 Companies A and C continued to search their areas, but had no contacts. Company A "harbored" for the night at YA 875552, and Company C at YA 875604. A quiet day, with no contact. Major Hoyt coordinated with brigade to extract the companies back to LZ 504C.


30 OCTOBER 1966 The days activities commenced with Company C heli-lifting from YA 875604 back to LZ 504C. After the lift was completed, the men of Chargin Charlie moved into their positions on the perimeter and took a well earned rest.

Company As "PAVN Hunters" were still on the move working south of the YA Krong Bolah River, with negative findings. The men moved back to their LZ and were extracted to LZ 504C at approximately 1600 hours.

A problem still faced by Colonel Procter and all the Dragon Clan was ever-present malaria. Since the rainy season had come to an end, many felt sure that the malaria problem would lessen considerably. However, the problem still haunted the Dragons. An even more intensive anti-malaria program was put into effect.


31 OCTOBER 1966 If we had had a training schedule for this operation, it would have shown "Payday Activities" for this date. Colonel Procter coordinated with Major Evrard to set up a real R&R for the Dragons. Unit pay officers passed out the MPC, and a money order team from APO 96355 picked them right back up again. Sgt. Tom Fanning flew out with about two tons of "goodies" from the Dragon PX and sold out his stock. Good hot "As" were, of course, served for supper. Father Filip and Chaplain Pratt conducted religious services which were very well attended.

The command group officers played a game of touch football with the PAVN Hunter officers. The PAVN Hunters won by a 2-point margin, and Daddy Dragon came out of it with a blue souvenir after he and Lt. OBrien "got their heads together" the hard way. One NVA soldier, having a poor bleacher seat, came in and surrendered to Company B, and was given a season ticket.

A volley ball net was set up, and Alpha Army started a round-robin tournament between the platoons.

Col. Meyer, Brigade S3 came in to visit with Col. Procter, and passed him the mission of being 4th Division Reaction Force.